Monday, September 19, 2011

Penne Pasta with Smoked Salmon and Caper Cream Sauce


I love smoking food. One of my favorite thing to smoke is salmon. Something about the fatty fish just is perfect with smokey flavor. Up until recently there was only one dish I would use smoked salmon in; a dip (I'll post a recipe for my irresistible smoked salmon dip soon enough). But this creamy pasta dish works perfect with smoked salmon. Even though this dish breaks a few culinary rules you'll find that it is lip smacking good!

Ingredients:
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
1/2 pound smoked salmon, chopped (I smoke this myself, it is cured before hand as well, but that's another post)
1 cup heavy cream (a.k.a. whipping cream)
1-2 tablespoons capers, drained
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste (if you smoke your own salmon, I'd skip the salt)
1 pound pasta, cooked al dente, drained (reserving about 1/4 cup of the cooking water)
Freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1 lemon

Directions:
  1. Cook your pasta
  2. In a large skilled add your olive oil and onions. Cook the onions til they are translucent, but not brown.
  3. Pour in the cream and the capers. Heat an additional 1-2 minutes.
  4. Combine sauce and pasta.
  5. Add the pasta water you reserved.
  6. Sprinkle your serving with (gasp!) Parmeasan cheese.
  7. Squeeze some lemon juice over the top of your portion.
  8. Enjoy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
;